This was a light year for open source contribution, 168 by Github’s count (and some uncounted on Bitbucket). I’ve continued on the RSpec core team, though the project is mostly stable and I haven’t been particularly active. I did find time to experiment with some new things however:
- Windows development! A rather major PR to Foreman to switch out the core solver and fix some UI lockups (among others) was the first time I’ve written C# in a decade. It, and the relevant UI libraries, are quite nice. Unfortunately the maintainer hasn’t had time for the project so it’s basically stalled. A fork is probably due. I also made a trivial patch to the Ori Livesplitter.
- Small forays into frontend development with a KSSU timer and a glorious troll site both in React, and some assistant contributions with VueJS.
- Taking advantage of my new Pixel phone to try my hand at Android development, with contributions to Twisty Timer and a new system keyboard for input of Rubix cube algorithms.
- Continued leveling up in Haskell with a Factorio data parser (likely broken on recent versions) and a woefully incomplete clone of Opus Magnum. I’m feeling reasonably confident with it now, and it’s currently my go-to language for new projects.
And as always, a smattering of issues to help improve documentation. Leave things better than you found them!
Next year, I’m looking forward to playing around with Firebase, and checking back in on Rust to see how it’s progressing.