Weird problem today: macbook was accepting my password to decrypt disk, but not accepting it for user account login. This started happening after adding lock button to my touch bar. I can’t see how that’s related, but that was the last thing I did so maybe relevant!? Tried the new button, locked my computer, couldn’t login again.
Things that didn’t work:
- Reset password using recovery key. (I think this only resets the disk password?)
- Recovery mode (hold
resetpasswordin terminal. Weirdly this did change the password hint for the account, but the new password was still not accepted.
- Reseting PRAM (hold
What did work (thanks to Apple care phone support, very good experience):
- Boot into recovery mode (hold
Disk Utilitiesand mount
rm /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/var/db/.AppleSetupDone.
- Reboot computer, enter disk password, then go through new computer setup again.
- When prompted, create a new
Temp Adminuser account. You’ll end up logged in as this new temp admin.
- Via System Settings, User & Accounts, reset password of your original account.
- Log out and re-login as your original account (hooray!)
- Delete the newly created